Let me know your thoughts!
This phone has been tapped.
Alfred Hitchcock - 1962
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths
It is almost the new decade of the teens. We have three more great years till 2012 so I feel I must improve my resolutions this year making them the best yet before… you know.. the end of the world, so they say. I also feel that publishing this online forces me to have a little more of an accountability, a virtual one.
1. Exercising- I plan to exercise at least 3 times a week, whether this be by running to chipotle or cycling to chik-fil-a downtown, I want to be in shape in order to start doing cycling races or even perhaps a half-marathon. I am really excited to have this new bike and I would love to go on farther and farther trips as soon as I get more in shape.
2. Reading- Right now I am reading Reckoning with Homelessness and it is pretty powerful. I hope that this year I can continue diving into books like I have started in 09’. I did a summer reading list that was pretty successful in my opinion, because I actually read a book off the list… five in fact! I hope to read a little more this year than last because there are so many things to read that can help you in life, in thought, and in conversation.
3. Adventures- I hope to go on some more road trips this year and get out on some camping trips. This spring I am bringing a group to Guatemala which should be pretty amazing, but I also want to do some hiking and backpacking around Tennessee. Last year I went on a trip to Bowling Green, Kentucky with Seth for no reason other than to drive to a random town and explore. It was pretty great to get out and to explore a town just for the sake of exploring. Once I get a tent I will really be ready, minus figuring out how to set it up.
4. Volunteering- I can’t wait to continue teaching creative writing at Room In the Inn downtown. It is a really exciting job where you feel a great response for the work you put into it. Can’t wait to see what our book looks like in the end after we collect all the writings together and create it. My passion is also driving me to create a dinner group of some sort to talk about the issues of this world and how we can fix them on a global and personal scale. Not sure if this idea will turn out, but I am really hoping I can get it rolling and see what happens. If it does work out, I would love to start a new blog with multiple writers; it would be about a changed-world, talking about all the great things going on in our lives and the stories of success in making the world a better place.
- 5. Relationships- This year it needs to be about the people in my life. I have been blessed with some great friends and family. I hope to be able to spend time with them by whatever means. My grandpa is my greatest role model so hopefully I can make a visit to see them during the summer. They always fill me with food and treat me incredibly. As with my friends, I am excited to start off another semester. I really feel connected with the friends I have made through Grassroots and ASB because we all have common interests, helping other people. It is that caring attitude that makes us connect so well. This year I hope to spend many days at a coffee shop getting to know even better some of the people that I love.
6. Arts- This year I hope to attend even more concerts, I mean come on, I live in Nashville- the Music City. There are so many great musicians who pass through and I would really love to attend all the shows and check out the different venues. Hopefully I will also find ways to express myself, even if I am not doing African Drumming this semester :). I hope to keep up this blog and to maybe create some art of my own, be it musically or on a canvas. We will see… I will keep you posted.
7. Spiritual- Since you are usually supposed to do lists in 5 or 10, I am doing a total of 7. I have stepped a way a lot from my Christian faith, whether it be from the big event that hit my like a brick this year or letting myself get too preoccupied. Before I left for the break I attended Midtown and I plan on continuing to go this year, hopefully finding myself a new church family. Christianity is where my faith lies, denomination plays no role in who I am spiritually, only God does. It excites me to get reacquainted with my creator and to really see where my life is headed.